These chicken breasts are stuffed with an assortment of “ooey-gooey” cheeses, fresh basil, and sun dried tomatoes. They are lightly coated in breadcrumbs and then baked in the oven until golden crisp. I served them with a side of sun dried tomato cream sauce and they were to die for. Enjoy!
Who thought a plain ole’ chicken breasts could be so delicious? If you like Italian food, then these sun dried tomato and basil stuffed chicken breasts will definitely be a hit! Imagine chicken parmesan mushed together with a caprese salad and the end result is this delicious dish.
- I found that using butcher’s twine made the cooking process super simple.
Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Stuffed Chicken
Golden-crusted chicken stuffed with cheese, basil, and sun dried tomatoes.
For the Chicken:
4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/8-1/4 inch thick
1 cup of fresh basil leaves, whole
1 cup of sundried tomatoes, slightly chopped
8 oz of fresh mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons of milk
1 cup of Italian style panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
For the sauce:
1/4 cup of sundried tomatoes (with the juices)
3-5 tablespoons of heavy cream
1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking pan with cooking oil.
2. In the middle of the pounded chicken breasts evenly distribute the basil, sundried tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. Try to keep a 1/2 inch border around all sides of the chicken.
3. Roll each chicken breast length wise and tie a piece of butchers twine in the middle.
4. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Dip each chicken roll into the egg mixture and then dip into the breadcrumbs.
5. Place into the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve with sundried tomato sauce.
For the Sauce:
1. In a food processor, pulse together the sundried tomatoes, heavy cream, mozzarella cheese, and salt and pepper until combined.